Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements video output is poorly configured by default. Reply To: video output is poorly configured by default.

patrickm
Participant

[quote=98036]There is no upscaling if display and render resolutions are equal. Be aware your display resolution could be some pixels smaller if overscan (config.txt) is enabled. So if render resolution is 1920×1080 and your display resolution is 1910×1070 (overscan) there could be scaling artifacts.

If performance is ok i would recommend render = display resolution. If performance is to low (shaders, emulation speed) a mix of hardware upscaling and lower render resolutions should be used. Hardware upscaling is for free and needs no processing power.

I have not seen any input lag with hardware upscaling. Thought threaded video causes a small input lag.

[/quote]

I’ve noticed additional input lag setting the render resolution to 960×720 on my 1080p monitor, although it is slight. I’m playing a lot of fast-twitch games, though, so it might not be noticeable in most situations.

Logically, there is going to be an extra delay due to the additional processing that the gpu has to do. Whether or not this is noticeable depends largely on the individual and the game being played.

I wasn’t aware of the performance limitations of the raspberry pi 1, I can see now that the default video settings make sense.

I thought it might make sense to add something like “video profiles” to the launch menu, sort of like preconfigured video modes, but then I realized that each system would need its own custom resolution, and the idea started to seem too complicated.