patrickm
Participant

[quote=98024]You can set “any” vertical resolution (0-1080) in your retroarch.cfg. For example you could set something like 1080/2=540 or 1080/4=270 to get integer scaling. If the aspect ratio of your render resolution differs from your display resolution horizontal resolution will be recalculated. You can try to get the best fit for performance and visual appearence. Render resolution upscaling is for free (hardware). If render and display resolution is equal software integer scaling is used (performance penalty). It is also possible to modify the hardware upscaler to your needs: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/104

As i have said default visual settings are not optimized for rpi2 at the moment. If we find better defaults we can at them.

[/quote]

Ah, good to know- wasn’t aware of the hardware upscaling being configurable.

I’m a little confused, though- I thought if render resolution matched display resolution, no upscaling occurred. Is this incorrect?

So, are you saying that rather than setting display and render resolution to match, I should instead set my render resolution differently so that the GPU handles scaling? when I try setting render resolution to 960×720, for example, and display res at 1080p, there is noticeably more input lag vs. leaving both display and render res at 1920×1080. I assumed this was due to the additional upscaling.