Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project XBox 360 wireless controller – blinking lights

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Roo
    Participant

From the (too long) Pi 2 compatibility thread…

[quote=87561]I noted that the .img comes already with the xbox controller driver already installed, my wireless xbox360 controller worked right out of the box, yay!

The only thing is: all 4 leds on the controllers are flashing all the time, instead of having just 1 fixed led saying which controller it is.

I googled it and tried fixing it inserting into /etc/rc.local the following lines, just before “exit 0″:

xboxdrv –trigger-as-button –wid 0 –led 2 –deadzone 4000 –silent & sleep 1
    xboxdrv –trigger-as-button –wid 1 –led 3 –deadzone 4000 –silent & sleep 1
    xboxdrv –trigger-as-button –wid 2 –led 4 –deadzone 4000 –silent & sleep 1
    xboxdrv –trigger-as-button –wid 3 –led 5 –deadzone 4000 –silent & sleep 1

but the led are still blinking..

Anyone experiencing this? Is there any solution? Is driving me nuts!
    [/quote]

[quote=87613]

xboxdrv –trigger-as-button –wid 0 –led 2 –deadzone 4000 –silent & sleep 1
    xboxdrv –trigger-as-button –wid 1 –led 3 –deadzone 4000 –silent & sleep 1
    xboxdrv –trigger-as-button –wid 2 –led 4 –deadzone 4000 –silent & sleep 1
    xboxdrv –trigger-as-button –wid 3 –led 5 –deadzone 4000 –silent & sleep 1

Not sure if it is the same issue or not, but I had to place sudo in front of each of the above statements. Don’t know why, but if I don’t, all 4 leds flash on mine. Worth a shot.
    [/quote]

I could be wrong, but I don’t think xboxdrv is installed with the image. At least not the 2.5.0 image, I haven’t checked the older images. It should be at /usr/bin/xboxdrv but I don’t see it there. I also checked /sbin, /usr/sbin and /bin.

When I try to load it from the command line I get -bash: xboxdrv: command not found

I’d like to get rid of the blinking lights too, but I don’t want to install xboxdrv if the RetroPie image is using some other driver. Has anyone figured this out?

brakanje
    Participant

AFAIK xboxdrv has not been included in any image. In addition even when you install xboxdrv you need to rmmod the old driver before you can run the new one in my experience unless you prevent it from booting at all. (Which is what I did.)

My advice is to install xboxdrv as it is the only driver that has working lights. the stock linux drivers for xbox 360 are rubbish.

frankysan
    Participant

xboxdrv is not installed by default. Also, you have to disable the previous driver to get the new one to work properly. This can be done by adding blacklist xpad to /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf

Anonymous
    Inactive

As frankysan said, you have to blacklist xpad in /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf , you can use nano to edit the file:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf

and add

blacklist xpad

then you can follow this tutorial to set it up correctly: https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller

I had a couple of issues but after blacklisting xpad, my wireless controllers are working properly (including the leds).

Roo
    Participant

All great information, thanks guys!

jackn
    Participant

Hi,

i got my Controllers to work with XBOXDRV,too.

One Problem is to solve:

All Retroarch-Emus won’t accept inputs from XBOXDRV driven controllers.
    Register controler in the setup-script won’t even accept inputs from XBOXDRV driven controller.

Only mame4all and other emus linke VICE can be steered with them.

Please try out if Retroarch-Emus (PSX for example) work on your setup

evilllama
    Participant

I may have missed it, and it might be a silly question, but this would also work for wired xbox360 controllers? What about a generic (IE: MadCatz) version of the wired and wireless controllers?

frankysan
    Participant

Wired controller will work the same, you just have to change the command line a bit. the wid should be just id for wired controllers.

And for third party controllers, if they follow the basic Xbox 360 standard, and thus work without any dongles or such in an actual 360, they will work fine using this method as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i am new to this, so sorry for the stupid question:

Will i need an USB Receiver vor every xbox360 wireless controller, or can one receiver be used for two controllers?

Thanks

frankysan
    Participant

One reciever can sync with up to four controllers at the same time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.