Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Why might a RetroPie image not work on a Raspberry Pi?

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Floob

Anyone have any clues here?

I have an image I built (about 14GB) based on an 2.6.0 RetroPie v1 (for the 1st gen Pi). I have written it to an SD and a Micro SD without issue.

It works fine on a RPi1 B, RPi1 B+, RPi2 B that I have.

However I also have another RPi1 B, and when it boots on that, it gets to the Emulation Station boot screen, waits whilst it parses the gamelists.xml files, then just hangs whilst on the ES splash screen – at this point the screen rapidly flashes as though it is continuously reloading the ES splashscreen.

This same RPi1 B works fine with the stock 2.6.0 image. It seems ES has issues with the specific build that works fine when I test it on those other Pis. I even tried removing some of the gamelist.xml files but it still wont boot into ES.

It seems very odd it works on one RPi1 B and not another.

Any ideas?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

overclocking settings that one pi doesn’t like ?

Floob

Maybe, but I thought they would be stored in /boot/config.txt and therefore be the same on both.
    Or are you saying there is a potential hardware defect on one (the Pi that has the problems was one from the original release in 2012)?

I’m rebuilding an image for the problem Pi, have overclocked it back to High and it seems fine. Its so odd.

Just hoping I dont get any similar issues in the future.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I am just guessing that if you had some overclocking enabled in /etc/config.txt that could be the cause as not all pi can overclock the same. if not then I’m out of ideas, especially if using the same psu etc.

Floob

Yep, same PSU. In fact same everything plugged into it.
    I appreciate your feedback, makes me think I’m not going crazy and its just an oddity that I shouldnt normally expect.

Cheers

petrockblog
    Keymaster

they all have the same amount of ram etc?

Floob

BINGO!!!!!

This is what I did not realise!

Memory
    256 MB (model A, A+, B rev1)
    512 MB (model B rev2, B+)
    1GB (model RPi2 B)

I guess I missed that the B has 2 revisions!
    With this I have also experienced a lot of the issues (black backgrounds, emulators not appearing etc..) people have posted that relate to lack of memory – ES *really* doesnt like 256MB.

Thanks very much buzz – all explained!

chdez77076
    Participant

Floob, how can I rip an image out of my sd card?

Floob

[quote=92297]Floob, how can I rip an image out of my sd card?[/quote]

I did this:
    http://smartretro.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.