Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Greetings

Through my procedure of setup i managed to write down some things while taking notes. So here are some hints and tips on several things:)

============================================================================

RETROPIE SETUP AND HINTS AND TIPS:

ONCE THE FIRST INSTALL OF THE LATEST IMAGE IS DONE:

1) If not done update your Pi

– sudo apt-get update
    – sudo apt-get upgrade -y

2) Type sudo raspi-config to:

– enable expand disk size
    – overclocking options (if needed)

3) To enter the RetroPie setup

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

From here i choose 4 (Update retropie setup script), 1 (Binaries based installation) & 3 (Setup). In option 3 i choose 321 (Install ps3 controller driver) and i follow on screen instructions

4) To change pswd (so as to have full permissions on my retropie folders) from ssh:

pi, raspberry (initial username/pass) i write:

sudo passwd

and i enter a new pasword e.g 1234567

From now on i can ssh retropie with

username: root @ pass: 1234567

5) Dont forget to change fba2x.cfg (ps3 joystick controls of FinalBurn) with the one i upload, by placing the cfg file in:

opt/retropie/emulators/pifba

6) ΒΙΟS files should go:

ΝΕΟGEO bios should be placed in 3 places !!

===> opt/retropie/emulators/gngeo-pi-0.85/gngeo and in
    home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba and in
    home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS

7) How to change aspect ratio in specific emulators? (like GBC, ATARI2600)

Each emulator has a retroarch.cfg file that will override the main config file in the all directory. To edit it, you can use the command

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/atari2600/retroarch.cfg (ATARI2600)

or

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/gbc/retroarch.cfg (GBC)

For Atari 2600, I added the line below and saved the file.

video_aspect_ratio = 0.83 or 1.11 (you may choose)

8) In order to play mame roms dont forget to change in mame.cfg the rom path or replace it with the one i upload

9) How to have mame4all controls working with PS3 wireless controller. It may work with wired controllers too (thanks to dudleydes)

Here are the steps to get your PS3 controller working with mame4all:

1. Replace your copy of minimal.cpp with my copy. Copy can also be found here (https://www.petrockblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/minimal.txt – just rename txt to cpp)

The path is /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/src/rpi/

2. Recompile by running the commands below from the terminal on the Pi or via ssh on a desktop.

cd /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/
    make

This step took me about 2-3 hours.

3. Your PS3 controller will work but you may need to configure certain actions by using TAB.

4. Enjoy.

Uploaded files needed : LINK REMOVED (see https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-on-posting-in-regards-to-romsgame-images/)

Thanks

Arnaud

Very instrumental, thanks

vivid
    Participant

I can’t seem to get FBa working with NeoGeo roms. It loads up a rom and then goes to a black screen. The only one that relatively worked was metal slug but that only had audio and a blue screen which looked like the color of the sky in the game.

I followed your steps above and copied the neogeo.zip file to the 3 locations but I still get the same black screen.

Is there something I’m missing?

Haris

Maybe you got a wrong bios file? Have y checked?

vivid
    Participant

I got a BIOS file .zip that has many different BIOS files on it along with other files. I tried taking out all the BIOS files and using the newest one but that didn’t work, pifba just booted to a black screen and then I tried taking out all those extra files and that also didn’t work and pifba just booted to a black screen again.

So far I’ve only gotten 2 games to play and that’s King of Fighters ’94 and metal Slug 5(or something like there there’s so many Metal Slugs I don’t remember which one worked).

I tried looking up what BIOS to use and if there should be any other files included with it but I had no luck in finding any information.

Is there a specific BIOS that is known to work with pifba?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

It would be great if someone could add tutorials or similar information to the wiki at

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki!

Haris
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I have done everything you said but neogeo and mame it dont work.
    I think its my neogeo bios file. Your link (2shared.com) dont work , can you re-send your neogeo bios files please ?
    (and just to be shure, where do you put the neo geo roms files exactely ?)
    sorry for my english…;)

hank you for all the tips !

see you

bobbyt
    Participant

I placed al my bios files into
    home/pi/RetroPi/BIOS

Then created symbolic links when they needed to be in other locations.

I’m a bit OCD so I wanted to avoid multiple copies or copies outside of the BIOS folder…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.