Homepage Forums RetroPie Project GPIO Adapter, ControlBlock etc. How to: Exit emulator to emulationstation using GPIO button

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I’ve came up with a method to be able to have an external pushbutton that is used to exit an emulator back to emulationstation. The way it works is by either sending a sigterm signal to the emulator, and if that doesn’t work, to try simulating a keypress (ESC). Some emulators don’t accept keypress from python’s uinput, so sigterm must be used. Some emulators don’t accept sigterm, so uinput must be used.

This is a python script, and uinput must be installed. You can test if uinput is properly installed by going to a command prompt and typing in
    python
    Then when you are in python idle,
    import uinput
    If it comes back with >>> , everything is working fine. If it says ImportError: No module named uinput, then it isn’t installed. On my image I downloaded from here, uinput was not installed correctly. To install uinput, try

pip install python-uinput
    If that doesn’t work, try
    easy_install python-uinput

RPi.GPIO must also be installed. In a command window, try
    sudo apt-get install python-dev python-rpi.gpio

Now the script must be created. Save the following script as exit.py in /home/pi/

from time import sleep
    import os
    import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
    import uinput

key_events=( uinput.KEY_ESC, )
    device=uinput.Device(key_events)
    GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
    GPIO.setup(3, GPIO.IN, pull_up_down=GPIO.PUD_DOWN)

def exitEmulator(channel):
        print('exitEmulator')
        pids = [pid for pid in os.listdir('/proc') if pid.isdigit()]

for pid in pids:
            try:
                commandpath = open(os.path.join('/proc', pid, 'cmdline'), 'rb').read()
                if commandpath[0:24] == '/opt/retropie/emulators/':
                    os.system('kill -TERM %s' % pid)
                    print('kill -TERM %s' % pid)
                    device.emit(uinput.KEY_ESC,1)
                    sleep(2)
                    device.emit(uinput.KEY_ESC,0)
            except IOError:
                continue
    GPIO.add_event_detect(3, GPIO.RISING, callback=exitEmulator, bouncetime=500)

while True:
        sleep(10)

Now create another file, exit.sh in /home/pi/

#!/bin/sh

cd /
    cd /home/pi
    sudo python exit.py
    cd /

Now, cron must be edited. Enter in a command terminal,
    sudo crontab -e
    Add the following line to the end,
    @reboot sh /home/pi/exit.sh

Some of the code above has been gathered from around the web. –this link– shows how to exit all emulators too, however if done by this method, it is a hard exit because sigkill is used. This can cause all sorts of headaches like SRM’s not being saved, high scores not being saved using mame, etc… So I modified it to use sigterm. However, mame4all doesn’t accept sigterm signals and I certainly didn’t want to use a sigkill, so then I added uinput KEY_ESC to exit out of mame4all and it works.

The button works for me as intended. I set up a pushbutton attached to GPIO 3 on a Raspberry Pi 2 and it exits the emulator cleanly to emulationstation. Because I have it set to GPIO3, it also boots my Pi when it is shut off.

If there are any other questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

dougie1970
    Participant

thanks for the info and can you take a pic of how to add the button to the GPIO .

It’s simple, just connect from GPIO3 to ground using a push button type button. Look at your rpi documentation for the correct pins. On the rpi2 b+ they are right next to each other

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for sharing this.

i do not understand why gpio boots up your pi…what am i missing here?

It’s a largely undocumented feature using GPIO3 to boot a Pi. See http://elinux.org/RPI_safe_mode#cite_note-1
    ‘Wake from halt’

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘GPIO Adapter, ControlBlock etc.’ is closed to new topics and replies.