Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Scanlines overlays and configs for a softer look Reply To: Scanlines overlays and configs for a softer look

patl
Participant

Hi Floob,

First I want to have a nearly 4:3 aspect ratio.
Your calculation is indeed the native aspect ratio but this would be rounded 4:3.75
So the image would look stretched in height.
The next point is the scanline overlay image.
So that each scanline fits each emulated Y pixel line, each scanline must be a multiple of the emulated Y pixel.
Theoretically e.g. 239 x4 or x5 = 956 or 1195 Y lines on the scanline overlay image.
BUT:
I testet a view things with the resolution and found out that the MegaDrive and SNES libretto cores are buggy within the render resolution of the system. I made some scanline overlay with 1.274×956 for SNES but the scanlines doesn’t fit all pixels over the whole screen…
The same with MegaDrive. The native render resolution in retroarch for MegaDrive is 320×240 x4 = 1280×960, but the scanlines doesn’t fit…
Only if I use a native Y resolution of 224, the scanlines fit the pixels.
So I use 1194×896 for SNES, MegaDrive and NeoGeo (1194 because of the 4:3 aspect ratio)

For PC-Engine the retroarch core uses a 320×232 !?! resolution.
x4 = 1236×928
I’ve made an extra overlay for this system.

I also cleaned up the filepaths and names a bit.
And I noticed that the shaders I used for the better brightness causes slowdowns anyway. Especially with PSX it’s very laggy. Without shaders it’s flawless.
So I deactivated the shader again and reworked the overlays a bit.
The result is not so much brighter but I think it’s ok for now.

I uploaded the new files to my dropbox:
–> 1080p_4-3.zip

–> config.zip

–> palettes.zip

Download and unzip the files and copy
– The whole folder „1080p_4-3“ to —> /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p_4-3

– All folders of the config.zip (atarilynx, fba, gamegear…) to —> /opt/retropie/configs/
!! Be carefully if you edited your systemconfigs with your
personal settings.
Then you can simply copy the necessary settings of my configs into your
system configs !!

– Copy the whole folder „palettes“ to /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS/

If you want to use the overlays without the TV border just edit all retroarch.cfg’s
overwrite e.g. the line :
input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p_4-3/NeoGeo-SNES-MegaDrive_1080p.cfg

with

input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p_4-3/Scanlines_4x_1080p_Borderless.cfg

except for MasterSystem, here you must overwrite the line with:

input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/1080p_4-3/Scanlines_5x_1080p_Borderless.cfg

For FBA I must rework a little due to different resolutions I explained earlier. Currently I just use the Neo Geo settings.
There comes an update soon.

@kitchuk

I haven’t testet both.
CaveStory… I don’t know ;-)
Doom I think it has a VGA resolution of 320×340, so the overlay for NES-PSX should work.