patl
Participant

Excuse me if I wrote something that was not meant that way. I’m german and don’t always know the right wording. I did not want to upset you. ;-)

You’re right , on the hill , you can see very few emulated pixels that are a little less wide.
But you have really search for it and you notice it only if you know what to look .

Also in SNES Zelda the first dungeon.
But with smooth and my overlay, it falls on even less.

For you it’s necessary that every pixel look absolutely identical.
For me it’s necessary that the overall image simply looks good.
But that’s a matter of opinion, any way he likes.
Similarly the darkness of the scanlines, to me it looks to darken, no matter how I adjust the brightness.
With the sharpness of your image there looks to me to blocky.

You might also right about the high end TV, but i never played any console on a high end TV. Did you?
99,99% of all people only played on a consumer grade CRT with this “softness”.
All this is the reason why the overall image of a console like SNES, Genesis… looks more uniform and better on a CRT than on a LCD without filter or shaders ….to me ;-)
Sure, there exists better CRT shader as an overlay image, but the pi can’t handle these.

Actually it was originally indeed about why the whole picture is very dark with your overlay images, it’s because of your resolution settings and the resolution of your overlay image. ;-)

Sorry but neither with the sharp-bilinear shader nor with the pixelate shader
I see any difference, no matter what settings…?
Maybe you can post a picture on you see the differences?

I now have my original SNES connected and then I realized that I had totally forgotten about the PAL borders. ;-)
Thus, the aspect ratio at all is no longer correct (1.63) and the individual pixels are also wider to see it there.

More example pictures:
Example Images Dropbox