Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Video Output on RetroPie Help Needed: Need some overlays to be tested Reply To: Help Needed: Need some overlays to be tested

patrickm
Participant

[quote=97242]Hello,

I haven’t testet it yet, but it should be because of the resolution of your scanline images and the screen resolution of the emulation settings (640×480?)
The best experience for me ist video_fullscreen_x and video_fullscreen_y should be the same as the screen resolution.
the scanline image also should be the same resolution.

And the scanlines should be something like this:
1. line White
2. line lighter Grey
3. line darker Grey
4. line black

The strength of the opacity could be set up in the overlay setting of retroarch or you can insert an alpha channel to the image.
Both adjust how dark the screen is at the end.

Example config with a 16:9 TV border from google but edited by me:
video_shader_enable = false
video_fullscreen_x = 1920
video_fullscreen_y = 1080
custom_viewport_width = 1194
custom_viewport_height = 896
custom_viewport_x = 363
custom_viewport_y = 87
aspect_ratio_index = 22
input_overlay = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/overlays/16-9/TV_16-9.cfg
input_overlay_enable = true
input_overlay_opacity = 1.000000
input_overlay_scale = “1.000000”
video_smooth = true

It’s faster then a shader and looks better for me on pie.

[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for the info. I’ll give it a shot with an overlay that matches the resolution I’m using.

I’m curious, have you been able to get even pixel scaling in a 4:3 aspect ratio with NES, Genesis, or SNES? So far, I’ve only been able to get perfect scaling by using a custom resolution that is an integer multiple of the native res, which results in a different AR than 4:3 (because the native res is not 1×1)

Seems like the only way to deal with artifacts when playing these systems in the original aspect ratio is with a CRT shader like Hyllian. Is this right?