typh0id
Participant

I apologize for not being more clear. I am aware that you can turn on blood via the service menu for the games running on the US or Asia bios but there are other elements for certain games that only appear for the Japan bios. As I understand it, in some games certain moves are removed, certain music tracks aren’t heard, and more infamously, certain body parts aren’t as “animated” if you aren’t using a Japan bios…

None of this hurts the fun of the game but I’ve always been a bit unnerved by censorship in any form so if the option to not have it is available, I want to choose it. However, I’d still like to be able to play the game in English…or more accurately, I’d like to be able to play the games that aren’t censored to begin with in English without having to change the bios every time I want to play a different game.

PiFBA seems to default to using the asia-s3.rom bios (located in neogeo.zip) but if you pick, say, sp-j2.rom (which is a Japan bios) and rename it to asia-s3.rom inside the zip, then the PiFBA will load the game up as the Japanese version. You can see differences immediately (eg. title screens look different, and of course the text is in Japanese).

The only solution I’ve found thus far is to use uni-bios_3_0.rom (renamed to asia-s3.rom) which will allow me to switch the region setting within the game without having to go in and rename any more files within neogeo.zip. It’s not a perfect solution, especially since, like the standard neogeo bios, my settings never save and I have to reset them everytime I reload the game, but it’s at least tolerable and I achieve the result I want.