jplaj
Participant

Moorens:

I’m not sure what these lines are for:
input_player1_l_x_plus = +0
input_player1_l_y_plus = -1
input_player1_l_y_minus = +1
input_player1_l_x_minus = -0
I don’t have them in my config files (the lines ending in _axis are all I need for the directions), but at the very least they shouldn’t hurt any.

It looks fine, but of course the only real test is whether or not it works when you try to play the game.

Roquen:

I think I may have misunderstood you last time. We may have gotten our wires crossed over the difference between save states and game save files.

Save States are what the emulator does to record your game–like taking a snapshot of what’s going on at any particular moment so it can start from there next time.

Game Save Files are read by the game itself, and function the same as if you were playing with a console and cartridge. The problem many people have is that with RetroPie, you can save in-game, but the Game Save File (should be created in the same folder as the Rom, unless you’ve designated otherwise) won’t be created or update unless you cleanly exit the emulator, which RetroPie has trouble with. This can be fixed using the autosave function, which doesn’t actually save the game, but it does update the Game Save File. This should let you play the game normally, like you want.

However, don’t test this using a Super Mario World or Mario All Stars. There are weird quirks with those two Roms (they often change between player1 and player2 inputs for my controllers between the maps and the levels, for example), and I can’t guarantee that they’ll work properly, even with a short autosave interval.