Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Controller Config Not Persisting Reply To: Controller Config Not Persisting

illuminerdi
Participant

For those interested, I managed to work around this but it’s not the cleanest solution.

So here’s what I did:

1) I made a directory: /opt/retropie/configs/custom

2) I copied the contents of /opt/retropie/configs/all/joypad-config to the directory in step 1

3) I edited /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg and changed joypad_autoconfig_dir to point to the directory in step 2

This now causes Retroarch to load up my custom controller binds every time.

Though ironically in my last edits I somehow managed to break something because now retroarch crashes/instantly exits whenever I try to load up a SegaCD game (which I was using to test this), the same game that was previously working. I think I know what I changed to break this, but it’s still annoying that something as simple as trying to change controller configurations turns out to be so difficult.

This would be completely irrelevant if the system would save config changes made through RGUI by default, but for whatever reason creating config binds/changes through RGUI does NOT save properly, either due to a bug or just plain obtuse implementation, but either way this whole process has been way more difficult than it should be.

I’m not blaming anyone – I’m sure there are good reasons why this is the way it is (dev time is valuable and they are not paid, these things are bugs, etc), this is just turning out to be a major frustration for what should have been a non-issue…