Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

Have a fresh Raspberry Pi 2 with Retropie 3.5 installed.
    Have paired the SFC30 using R + Start and added SUBSYSTEM==”input”, ATTRS{name}==”8Bitdo SFC30 GamePad Joystick”, MODE=”0666″, ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}=”1″ to Local Rules, as well as re-configuring the buttons as per Floob’s video (https://youtu.be/Q4K3h4CIJwA?t=1994).

All of the buttons work fine, until I then restart my Raspberry Pi.

This then puts the configuration back into the state before editing the buttons as per the video!

It converts my correct 8BitdoSFC30GamePadJoystick.cfg into a .cfg.bak file and adds a new .cfg with the original settings.

Any help would be really appreciated.

mikegrice10
    Participant

Edit:

Tell a lie, after a few restarts it does it again – thought updating the back up file and the new .cfg file would fix it but hasn’t seemed to, just gets overriden.

stevetb
    Participant

I am having the same behavior with my SFC30 Controller. Last night I too had it working until I rebooted. The configuration was replaced with the .BAK file within same folder. At first I thought I did not save the changes to the mappings when I first edited the joystick file for the SFC30 but after a second reboot, the mappings were all messed up again.

A few thoughts I had for testing tonight

1. Delete .BAK file once the joystick file is set perfectly
    2. If that does not work, locking the file so it cannot be altered

I will report back what I find out. I see others are having lots of issues with the 8Bitdo controllers as well.

-Steve

mikegrice10
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, let me know how you get on – literally the last thing needed to get the RetroPie up and running comfortably! (Though might risk another 8bitdo controller if we can get this working)

stevetb
    Participant

Hi Mikegrice10,

Here are the steps I followed to get the 8Bitdo SFC30 and NES30 to work after a reboot:

1. Go to this link and download the configuration which you need:

https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-joypad-autoconfig/blob/master/udev/8Bitdo-SFC30-GamePad-Bluetooth-Mode(START%2BR).cfg

2. From that configuration you will want to add in your preferred hotkey, exit command, save state, load state, etc. These are not included in the posted CFG files.

3. I ended up taking the contents of that .CFG file with my revisions and then pasted the text into the .CFG file for my SFC30 and NES30 .CFG files that already existed. Make sure to remove the existing text as well.

4. Once text is inserted you will want to make sure to save.

5. Now re-open each file and make sure it saved :)

6. Last step I did was to delete the .BAK files for each controller that were already in place. THESE backup files are probably what are causing you grief. I am not sure and have not tested my theory that these .BAK files cause the primary .CFG file to regenerate upon reboot. Someone else may know if that is how it works on bootup.

7. Now reboot and game! Everything should work.

stevetb
    Participant

Note: If you use that link above you will get a 404 Error. Make sure to add .cfg to the end of the pasted text. For some reason in Floob’s post and the one I just did it drops .cfg from the link.

mikegrice10
    Participant

Thanks for this Steve, haven’t had a chance to try this yet though it sounds similar to what I tried before but after a couple of restarts it defaulted again.

I will try it out and report back.

stevetb
    Participant

Sounds good, I wish you luck.

mikegrice10
    Participant

Hi Steve,

I did everything in the order you said and it appears to have worked! Have restarted the raspberry pi multiple times (including at the plug) and the .cfg file is staying the same without adding a bak – thank you!

Annoying though my controllers randomly lost the ability to connect via bluetooth – I’m hoping it’s due to low battery and I’m charging now. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help thus far.

mikegrice10
    Participant

I couldn’t get my controller to connect via Bluetooth again so I started the process again.

I unregistered and removed the SFC30 then connected it again. I then restarted the Raspberry Pi. I then updated the .cfg file again to map the buttons correctly – all worked fine. I then restarted, it created a .bak file with the cfg file I updated then created a new .cfg file with the default button mappings.

From here I updated the .cfg again, deleted the .bak and file and rebooted. The .cfg file went back to default.

At the end of my tether with this :(

labelwhore
    Participant

Have you tried making the necessary changes then changing permissions or ownership of the file to prevent it from being overwritten?

mikegrice10
    Participant

Hi labelwhore, I’m afraid I’m fairly new to this – how would I go about doing what you’ve suggested?

Floob

Between when its working ok, and creates the .bak file what happens?
    Just a restart?

What does the retroarch controller folder look like before and after?
    Does ES prompt you to re-enter the controller details at any point?

labelwhore
    Participant

To change permissions do this: sudo chmod -w <path/to/file>
    the -w means remove write permissions.

To change ownership (if it’s owned by the pi user) sudo chown root:root <path/to/file>

I’d highly recommend that you take a look at this and get to know some of these commands. Doing so will make life much easier when making changes to your pi.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2598082/linux/linux-linux-command-line-cheat-sheet.html

mikegrice10
    Participant

[quote=118877]Between when its working ok, and creates the .bak file what happens?
    Just a restart?

What does the retroarch controller folder look like before and after?
    Does ES prompt you to re-enter the controller details at any point?

[/quote]

Yes, either a restart through the menu or turning the raspberry pi off and on at the socket.

The retroarch-joystick folder starts with the 8BitdoSFC30GamePadJoystick.cfg that I have updated with the correct inputs, at restart it creates the .bak file of my updated .cfg and recreates the default .cfg. ES does not prompt me to re-enter the controller details. Think it’d be worth starting from scratch?

[quote=118879]To change permissions do this: sudo chmod -w <path/to/file>
    the -w means remove write permissions.

To change ownership (if it’s owned by the pi user) sudo chown root:root <path/to/file>

I’d highly recommend that you take a look at this and get to know some of these commands. Doing so will make life much easier when making changes to your pi.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2598082/linux/linux-linux-command-line-cheat-sheet.html

[/quote]

Thanks for this I really appreciate it – I’ll look into this and give it a go!

mikegrice10
    Participant

I tried your suggestion label whore but still no luck. I might just have to start from scratch? Disappointing that I’ve not been able to set it up already.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.