Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I should have one in 3-12 business days.

I imagine that, with it having a 64 bit processor, it should run a Pi 2 RetroPie image fine, but would show improved performance if everything is built from scratch? That or compiler errors?

Assuming that my Pi3 really arrives, is there something in particular that I can report on, in the interest of contributing back to this project?

smartroad
    Participant

I’d like to know how well the n64 and PSP emulators work :D Oh and maybe the Saturn one to Hehe

simon
    Participant

Will it actually run the RetroPie image for Raspberry Pi 2?

kahnindustries
    Participant

Ha, came here to make a tongue in cheek post demanding that the Pi 3 version should be out already :D

Mine will be here tomorrow

shoothere
    Participant

My guess is a new build will be required for the 64bit architecture. I wonder how much driver issues this will be accompanied with.

I guess herb isn’t getting any time off soon :p

Ordered mine so if I can help test I will!

petrockblog
    Keymaster
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

There will be no “rpi3” build – the rpi2 code will used currently. if raspbian do a 64bit version of the os, this may change.

shoothere
    Participant

Even without a specific 64bit build the speed gain should be noticeable.

Also wondering how far it overclocks now.

ronoh55
    Participant

The “safe” overclock for the pi2 is 1.0 Ghz, so my guess will be 1.3-1.5 will be the “safe” overclock for the pi3. I’m just hoping this helps big time with the n64 and psp emulations!

InsecureSpike
    Participant

this may mean i’ll have to look into setting up the N64 tomorro to test, are there any vital topics/threads i’ll need to read up on?

ronoh55
    Participant

Best bet is probably the wiki page on it: https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Nintendo-64

brunnis
    Participant

[quote=118514]https://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/blog/2016/02/29/the-most-comprehensive-raspberry-pi-comparison-benchmark-ever
    [/quote]
    Very few of his comments regarding the speed improvement of the Pi 3 vs the Pi 2 seem to add up. His tables say one thing and his comments say another. How about this, taken from the article’s MemTester section:

2 Model B 23 minutes 39.07 seconds
    3 Model B 8 minutes 37.078 seconds

“In this case the Pi 3 is more than 50% faster than the Pi 2 at allocating and accessing RAM.”

While technically true, the actual performance improvement is 174%. :-P

InsecureSpike
    Participant

[quote=118521]Best bet is probably the wiki page on it: https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Nintendo-64

[/quote]

ok, thanks mate

petrockblog
    Keymaster
    dankcushions
    Participant

bought! pretty incremental improvement but i think a few things should be pushed over the line as most things we deal with are CPU-bound. i’m hopeful for powerdrive and afterburner type games running better/perfect, PSX at double-resolution mode with no slowdown, and N64 improvements (maybe even becomes ok to use GlideN64 plugin all the time?), but the lack of GLES3 is a shame. no vulkan or anything like that.

shoothere
    Participant

Well on a non-overclocked system it is a 30% processor increase.

Not quite sure how and if a 64bit release of the emulators will matter but hey, they will never hurt I guess.

Silly question: will 64bit apps run on a 32bit OS? I remember OSX running stuff 64bit while the actual kernel was still 32bit.

cfx69
    Participant

Just ordered one as well. Excited to see where things progress in the future with the new capabilities.

C..

brunnis
    Participant

[quote=118555]Well on a non-overclocked system it is a 30% processor increase.[/quote]
    No, it’s actually roughly a 60% increase. If it was just a clock frequency increase, you’d be right. However, the Pi 3 uses a different and improved CPU core (Cortex-A53), which by itself improves performance by roughly 25%. In some cases (and with recompiled code), the performance improvement should be even larger.

Floob

Bought. Hopefully here tomorrow.
    I like the sound of the inbuilt Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. I’ll have to see if it happily works with the 8bitdo controllers.

shoothere
    Participant

[quote=118564]

Well on a non-overclocked system it is a 30% processor increase.

No, it’s actually roughly a 60% increase. If it was just a clock frequency increase, you’d be right. However, the Pi 3 uses a different and improved CPU core (Cortex-A53), which by itself improves performance by roughly 25%. In some cases (and with recompiled code), the performance improvement should be even larger.

[/quote]

Yeah I was (without much dedication I must admit) trying to look up the specs to the Pi2 chip to compare but gave up :P

I sort of like the yearly releases (are they yearly?) as they sort of give me something to look forward to. The past 30 years are slow but every years we get faster!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m trying to boot a card with Retropie 3.5 on my pi3. No luck.. Took it from my pi2. Maybe there’s something I need to tweak or it might not work.. ?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

make sure you update it on the rpi2 first (sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade).

I can’t advise further until I receive mine.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

What site are you using to buy the pi3, I need to make sure the psu is a good one this time?

Thanks

retroresolution
    Participant

Ordered mine from RS Components in the UK today, hopefully being delivered tomorrow.
    Really hoping for full-speed 32X, enhanced resolution PlayStation on most or all games, and more playable n64 titles.
    If I can help with testing, please let me know.

cfx69
    Participant

[quote=118588]What site are you using to buy the pi3, I need to make sure the psu is a good one this time?

Thanks

[/quote]

Guess that would depend on where in the world you are.

I’m in the US and ordered from canakit as no one else had them in stock when I ordered.

mcmelectronics has it listed but server is dragging so I can’t see if it’s in stock.

C..

labelwhore
    Participant

It was in stock on MCM when I looked a little bit ago, but shipping was $8. I decided to wait until they’re a little more readily available.

retrofredde
    Participant

Hmm, 64bit architecture, will this affect the compatibility with old emulators or will it just increase the performance?

Anyhow, can’t say no to a new Raspberry pi, so, bought! :)

retroresolution
    Participant
    kronspliffs
    Participant

Well this makes me happy, and sad. I just bought my fisrt Pi bout 3 weeks ago…

retroresolution
    Participant

I’ll bet – it’s odd that the Pi 3 just suddenly arrived – maybe people were ‘in the know’ given the Pi 2 released same time last year, but first I heard a about it was an email this morning from The Pi Hut.

Thought I’d better get one quick in case of the usual supply/demand issues (that said RS Components showed 17,000 in stock this afternoon…)

shmoopty
    Participant

It sounds like a great excuse to make a new project from last month’s Pi.

Perhaps you know of a car that needs a touchscreen Kodi console? That bathroom mirror could become one of those smart mirrors.

If you have a Pi 2 now, the 3 will fit in the same cases.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agreed a bit strange how they just suddenly released this with no mention or hype. I only bought my Pi2 in December. Am ordering Pi3 from RS Online. At least i can use the case/fan from my Pi2.

I’m just hoping the built in Bluetooth will finally resolve everyones bluetooth problems, and just maybe the N64/Dreamcast emulator will be able to run smoothly for Goldeneye/Virtua Tennis! Fingers crossed.

@Floob
    will you be updating the Wiki for set up on Pi3? Is there any talk of building retropie with 64 bit architecture?

dankcushions
    Participant

a 64-bit version of raspian (the underlying OS) would need to be be released first, and there doesn’t seem to be any immediate plans for that that i can find.

retroresolution
    Participant

My Pi 3 and uprated PSU have a arrived (2.5a, 5v). Want to get cracking, but can’t just yet – frustrating!

[Edit] apologies for the rotation on the pictures – look okay on the tablet, but must be a meta-flag only, leaving some of the photos sideways or upside down…

retroresolution
    Participant

If GoldenEye runs at a playable framerate I’ll be ecstatic…
    I’d like some idea of the overclock thresholds before I start turning up the speed.
    If there’s no imminent new Raspbian build then I can’t look to rasbpi-config for guidance. I’d better start googling.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.