• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    charco
    Participant

Planning on upgrading to a Pi 3 and Retropie 3.6 and was considering a bigger SD card, will a 128GB card work?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

i’d suggest a smaller gb sd card say 4gb – 8gb (x2) then get your self a 128gb usb drive, as using such a large sd card could run into issues if corrupted, then all your roms will be lost,
    with a usb drive you can keep all the retropie system bits on the sd card and have your roms on the usb drive, separate & safe

these are what i use, the SD cards seem to take lots of rewriting too,

4gb Kingston SD card

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221391598329?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

128gb Kingston USB drive

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371052738512?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

shoothere
    Participant

I would second InsecureSpike’s advice. Also if an update goes boink you don’t have to copy all the roms/saves/scrapes again, just a new SD card and go go go!

It is much cheaper as well and USB sticks are not very big so size shouldn’t be a problem either.

charco
    Participant

Great advice, thanks guys! I hadn’t thought of a USB pen drive as I thought roms couldn’t be loaded off them. Maybe there were issues with an older version of RetroPie that have since been resolved.

With the Pi 3 having wifi and bluetooth that frees up USB ports too. I’ll look into a new high capacity pen drive so :)

jsawhi
    Participant

I can attest to 128G SD cards working fine. I have 2 of them, one in my pi2 and one in my pi3… Both work great, although I can appreciate not having to copy all the roms over every time I rebuild the SD card…

InsecureSpike
    Participant

there nothing wrong with using 128gb cards, but this is what i’m trying to say, what happens if your card corrupts? or god forbid, an update fails or encounters a problem?

charco
    Participant

Yeah that makes sense, I have put off upgrading for a while now due to having to transfer all of my roms again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Has anyone thought of getting – or has gotten already – one of the 314GB PiDrive hard drives.

Been looking into these over the last couple of days and been thinking it might be a good option. Faster than a USB drive, and ooodles of storage.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

should be good, just format it to ext4

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can I just jump in here and ask what you have to do to get the Roms to copy and save to the stick? I use a usb drive to copy Roms to the Pie, but I was unaware that you could launch them off of it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.