Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Participant

nbba theme (nothing but box art)

version 1.1

preview of all of the system menus

preview of the different theme layouts

settings show icons for the selected choices
    http://i.imgur.com/gZRcYz5.jpg

with and without the game console shown

preview of the different filter choices

alternate system logos
    http://i.imgur.com/QDXQTKQ.jpg

—————————————

Changes:
    Version 1.1
    – Added theme for Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Mattel Intellivision, Sega CD
    – Split up the zip files to make the main zip just the theme
    Version 1.0 Initial Release
    – Fixed the filter so it does not overlap for 4:3 displays.
    – Centered the bg.png so that it appears centered on 4:3 displays.
    – Lightened the Sega 32X text more so that is more visible.
    – Fixed the es theme so that the text will cut off rather than overlap each other.
    – Added theme for Sega Dreamcast, Atari Lynx, GCE Vetrex and Commodore 64.
    – Changed the font used in the theme to a better fitting font.
    – Adjusted various parts of the theme.
    – Included alternate logos if you want a more accurate system logo.
    – Changed the bg.png files to bg.jpg to save a lot of space. This may help reduce memory usage.
    – Included the game console image in the system select screen.
    – Included alternate themes that do not include the game console image.
    Version 0.1 Beta
    – Very first release

—————————————

This theme was inspired by Florian Hurtaut’s theme which was released for EmulationStation 1.x. I have built the theme using EmulationStation for Windows and have tested with a Raspberry Pi 2 B with a 320 MB memory split at 1920×1080 resolution. I have yet to test this theme with older Raspberry Pi models. I have a Raspberry Pi B+ that I will test with in the future.

This theme is still incomplete. There are changes that I have planned to make.
    – Adding additional systems that are supported by the Raspberry Pi.
    – Adding one or two additional layout choices.
    – Adding options to the RetroPie menu that allow you to swap between emulation configuration profiles.

For any question and updates you can reply to this topic. I am also willing to add additional systems and system logo localization upon request.

I fully plan on releasing all the materials I used to make this theme but now I think it maybe upon request. I never realized going into this that the materials would be so large. I may end up optimizing some of the materials as it would save much space. this will come at a later day once I figure out how to get it from 370 MB to under 100 MB.

—————————————

There are 26 systems themed if you count the RetroPie settings. The systems themed are

RetroPie
    Sega Dreamcast
    Nintendo 64
    Sony PlayStation
    Sega Genesis 32X
    Sega CD
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    NEC TurboGrafx-16
    Sega Genesis
    Sega Master System
    Atari 7800
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Atari 5200
    GCE Vectrex
    Mattel Intellivision
    Atari 2600
    Nintendo Game Boy Advance
    Nintendo Game Boy Color
    Sega Game Gear
    Atari Lynx
    Nintendo Game Boy
    Commodore 64
    Ports
    SNK Neo Geo System
    Final Burn Alpha
    Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (MAME)

—————————————

Installation

Copy the contents of the ‘themes’ folder to the ‘themes’ folder of EmulationStation
    Example: ‘/etc/emulationstation/themes’ for the Raspberry Pi

You must at minimum copy the ‘nbba theme’ folder to themes. The two alternate layouts reference all of its resources from the main theme to cut down on disk usage and files.

Before the next step make sure to make a backup copy of the RetroPie ‘gamelist.xml’ file if you wish to revert the changes back. I have provided the default ‘gamelist.xml’ file my Raspberry Pi generated. Copy the contents of the ‘gamelists’ folder to the ‘gamelists’ folder of emulationstation.
    Example: ‘/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists’

Copy the contents of the ‘downloaded_images’ folder to the ‘downloaded_images’ folder of EmulationStation.
    Example: ‘/home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images’

Copy the contents of the ‘retropiemenu’ folder to the ‘retropiemenu’ folder of RetroPie.
    Example: ‘/home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu’

nbba theme – This theme layout will display the image referenced in the gamelist.xml as large as possible to take up the left half of the screen. A list of games is on the right with a few details listed about the game below the image.

nbba theme es – This theme layout keeps the default layout which is provided with EmulationStation.

nbba theme ns – This theme layout is similar to the nbba theme but gets rid of the list of games on the right for a single selection at the top. The image that is referenced in the gamelist.xml then expands to the maximum size of the space left.

—————————————

Alternate nbba Filters

The filters are no longer provided within this zip file. You can get a download link from the topic link above.

I have provided 3 additional filter choices for the theme. In order to use one of these filters you must open the chosen folder and copy the contents into the ‘themes’ folder of EmulationStation.
    Example: ‘/etc/emulationstation/themes’ for the Raspberry Pi

—————————————

Alternate nbba Logos

The logos are no longer provided within this zip file. You can get a download link from the topic link above.

I have provided additional logos for each of the systems. These logos were extras that were a result of creating the logo that I chose to use. For the most part the colors of the alternate logos match what the actual logo is. Ports has several different logo choices. Most were a result of not knowing what I wanted. To use the alternate logo just place it in the appropriate system folder in the ‘nbba theme’ and make sure it is named ‘logo.svg’.

—————————————

Alternate nbba Themes

The alternate nbba themes are no longer provided within this zip file. You can get a download link from the topic link above.

I have provided an alternate version of the themes that do not include the game console above the logo in the system select screen. In order to use these themes you can either rename the folder and place it in the themes folder or you can copy the folders replacing the default themes.

—————————————

EmulationStation es_systems.cfg

I have provided a copy of my ‘es_systems.cfg’. I have listed out the game systems newest to oldest first. Next listed is portables newest to oldest. Last is arcade systems. If you have any roms placed in a system I have not yet themed then they will appear at the end of the list.

—————————————

Remove Scroll Sound

If you do not want or like the scroll sound for the game lists I have provided a blank wave file that can replace the click sound. To do this open the nbba theme folder then the main folder. Inside of the folder delete the ‘sound.wav’ file and rename the ‘nosound.wav’ file to ‘sound.wav’

—————————————

Download Theme:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!bIZXlRpY!sFg2Uxe6mRVBq6fws3lRsQR2peyb33BNsi_olpeIE44

Download Alternate Region Images:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!bZAnRCoI!tHa1rgk_AIzA0rNm9GdPr6N4cXzearL6YBzp4_ZTABw

Download Alternate High Resolution Images (NOT FOR RASPBERRY PI):
    https://mega.co.nz/#!SU5whJAK!Vbpa33HxASnU9nDoUdVQP_qSAg_TaYG2iNq_h6Ei_tA

Download Alternate Filters:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!6QgE3IhY!rALx8RuTQaQM2zOFqbeI5UgwBWZ5sBbljwrr9OJsY78

Download Alternate Logos:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!yMpFUR6Y!Y347hZc0OhFMzcEFa0__ATtSV5sF3igErqMfS15E5HY

Download Alternate Themes:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!2IoCQYbZ!08tr2ZOWrVCgPZafYGicg9kCu45asbN8jAwvPSWYcQA

—————————————

Hope you enjoy
    sekazi

InsecureSpike
    Participant

this is exactly the idea I had when I created my theme, my box art isn’t as large as yours, but yeah no need for all that info imho

momaw27
    Participant

LOVE it! I’ll be using this when you release it!

sekazi
    Participant

I have been working on it as I have had time. There will potentially be 4 layout choices in the theme.

original
    boxart + list
    boxart + no list
    classic es

I am going to see if I can get a hold of Florian Hurtaut somehow as I am basing the theme off of his and I use a few assets from his theme. His theme was for ES 1.x so it was not supported in the latest version. I have reworked the majority of the assets he had and I have made it look better at 16:9 vs his 4:3.

When I release the theme I will be including the asset files used so it can be easily changed by someone else if they so choose.

The emulators being themed are

atari2600
    gamegear
    gb
    gba
    gbc
    mame
    mastersystem
    megadrive – genesis
    n64 (maybe one day the emulator will not be useless)
    nes
    pcengine – turbografx
    ports – doom
    sega32x
    snes
    retropie

charco
    Participant

Wow, very nice indeed!

sekazi
    Participant

I was planning on posting some screens tonight but after running into issues with the Raspberry Pi randomly freezing when loading emulationstation I have decided to reimage the microsd to see if that is the problem.

I have been building the theme in emulationstation for windows it is much easier to work on a layout you can easily refresh by the press of a button. After I moved what I had to the Raspberry Pi that is when I ran into issues.

I will try to get proper screenshots tomorrow. I am still trying to determine if I am doing too much but even if I take the theme down below the specs of the simple theme it still froze.

sekazi
    Participant

It turned out it was not a corrupt sd card but rather memory issues due to some large files.

Here are some current pictures.

htp://i.imgur.com/MOd4Cmm.jpg

htp://i.imgur.com/m3cXZBA.jpg

htp://i.imgur.com/dE0JTBs.jpg

htp://i.imgur.com/uzXKs27.jpg

htp://i.imgur.com/0qJ113L.jpg

htp://i.imgur.com/p7Ilb1w.jpg

This is the 3rd alternate layout which may end up going away if I run into more memory issues. The plan is to have a controller layout on the bottom left but time will see. For now I will work on completing the other systems and refining the theme. There are still many changes I need to make and parts I have yet to touch.

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=101137]
    This is the 3rd alternate layout which may end up going away if I run into more memory issues. The plan is to have a controller layout on the bottom left but time will see. For now I will work on completing the other systems and refining the theme. There are still many changes I need to make and parts I have yet to touch.

[/quote]

I’m really glad to see so many good themes coming after ES has been around for so long :)

sekazi
    Participant

Small update. I finished my work on the controllers to be used in the backgrounds. Here is a sample of what they will look like and the colors.

htp://i.imgur.com/pU6DLvQ.jpg

I was not feeling the clean vector look so I went with something more crude. These will be used in the background on the main selection screen.

If there are any requests for other emulators to be themed it would probably be the time.

robertybob
    Participant

From your image above, which is the Sega 32x? Could you do the 6 button controller for it?

sekazi
    Participant

Yellow is sega32x. Not being able to find a outline of the controller made this one a huge pain but here it is.

robertybob
    Participant

Cheers!! :)

sekazi
    Participant

Another update.

I will be including 3 resolution scales since the Raspberry Pi can be questionable running at higher resolutions.

1080p
    720p
    576p

Here is the menus and the regular text scroll of each system.

htp://i.imgur.com/Jj2Xgil.jpg

chooky536
    Participant

love this theme but cant find out how to download it? was going to go with the simplified static theme but really want to use this one instead

sekazi
    Participant

[quote=101465]love this theme but cant find out how to download it? was going to go with the simplified static theme but really want to use this one instead

[/quote]

I have not released it yet. I am almost to the point where I feel I can release it. I say it will be either tomorrow night or the next day depending how my days go.

chooky536
    Participant

oh that would explain it then lol thanks cant wait im building an arcade machine for my nephews birthday this would be a cool look to add so all he sees is the artwork not the info or anything

capriboy
    Participant

I look forward this beautiful theme!
    I am building an arcade clone Mario Bros Widebody and this theme is perfect!
    To install just put the zip file into a directory? (Station Emulation 3.0 Beta 4)

sekazi
    Participant

I have modified the first post with the initial release.

chooky536
    Participant

YAY!!! Thanks been refreshing this post for the past couple days when ever i had the chance cant wait to put this on my setup thankyou!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your theme is awesome! Thanks a lot ;)

sekazi
    Participant

Here is a preview of the settings theme. Each option has its own icon.

http://i.imgur.com/zzSDCPh.jpg

threepwood
    Participant

very nice! would like to see the atari “lynx” and vectrex in this list!

Btw, I downloaded it, followed your instructions for installation, but some backgrounds just appear white, like there is no artwork.

suggestions?

########
    reboot ftw, works now :0)
    i love this theme, just vectrex and lynx is missing ;)

####
    update 2:
    gamesliste in 32x is too bright, can hardly see the names
    SNES, NES and PSX have on the left where the cover is some kind of shade, that is over the picture… hard to explain, the left side of the picture is darker than the right side of the picture. how can i remove this shade?

capriboy
    Participant

It is beautiful!
    It is possible to choose to display only the games that have image?
    Imagine I choose the option to only show the image of the game. If it has no picture, you will get a blank page. Or use a standard image according to the platform for the game that contains no image.
    Consider just a suggestion.
    Excellent job!

sekazi
    Participant

[quote=102125]very nice! would like to see the atari “lynx” and vectrex in this list!

Btw, I downloaded it, followed your instructions for installation, but some backgrounds just appear white, like there is no artwork.

suggestions?

########
    reboot ftw, works now :0)
    i love this theme, just vectrex and lynx is missing ?

[/quote]
    EmulationStation does that sometimes so you can just restart EmulationStation to fix it as well. I will look into those two. I had previously thought about doing them but had so many at the time to do.

[quote=102129]It is beautiful!
    It is possible to choose to display only the games that have image?
    Imagine I choose the option to only show the image of the game. If it has no picture, you will get a blank page. Or use a standard image according to the platform for the game that contains no image.
    Consider just a suggestion.
    Excellent job!

[/quote]
    I have an idea how I could do it but as far as adding an image where there is not one in the gamelist I do not believe es has that capability. I can always display something behind art. I will look into it.

sekazi
    Participant

[quote=102125]
    update 2:
    SNES, NES and PSX have on the left where the cover is some kind of shade, that is over the picture… hard to explain, the left side of the picture is darker than the right side of the picture. how can i remove this shade?

[/quote]

I seen the issue with the shade under certain resolutions previously but did not have the time then to look at the issue. I was hoping it would not follow over to the Raspberry Pi as all testing was in Windows.

What resolution are you running at? I will see what maybe causing it.

sekazi
    Participant

[quote=102135]

update 2:

I seen the issue with the shade under certain resolutions previously but did not have the time then to look at the issue. I was hoping it would not follow over to the Raspberry Pi as all testing was in Windows.

What resolution are you running at? I will see what maybe causing it.

[/quote]

I think I figured out that issue. For some reason es does not properly ignore some code I have commented out on the main theme file so it puts the shade in. I will fix this in the next version.

If you want to fix it now just delete the following from the theme.xml in the main theme folder.

<!--
    	<image name="measure" extra="true">
    		<pos>0.25 0.5255</pos>
    		<origin>0.5 0.5</origin>
    		<size>0.49 0.825</size>
    		<path>./../nbba theme/main/bg.png</path>
    		<color>ff00ff</color>
    	</image>
    	-->
    threepwood
    Participant

Thanks for the fast reply!!!

I’m using a 17″ 4:3 TFT at the moment, but finally it’s gonna running on a 19″ 4:3. Resolution? I don’t know, i just plugged in the cable ;)

Your suggestion worked partially. SNES + NES is fixed now.
    Some screens still have this issue:
    MAME, Master System, Playstation

How can I repair this on my own stil the next update is available?

sekazi
    Participant

I will look into it further. I have a suspicion it is the way I am handling the background images but not sure. If you want you can try resizing the background images to a 4:3 aspect ratio and see if that works. The image I am referring to is the bg.png in each of the system folders under the nbba theme. I will not be able to try this until tonight. If that does end up working I can provide better resolution background images for a 4:3 display in the next update.

ignore that. The issue is the filter being applied. To fix open the main theme.xml and change

<image name="filter" extra="true">
    		<path>./../nbba theme/main/filter.png</path>
    		<pos>0 0</pos>
    		<origin>0 0</origin>
    		<size>0 1</size>
    	</image>

to

<image name="filter" extra="true">
    		<path>./../nbba theme/main/filter.png</path>
    		<pos>0 0</pos>
    		<origin>0 0</origin>
    		<size>1 1</size>
    	</image>

Changing the size from 0 1 to 1 1 will force it to fit the screen so it will not carry over to the next theme. Another change I will make in the next version is

<image name="background" extra="true">
    		<pos>0 0</pos>
    		<origin>0 0</origin>
    		<size>0 1</size>
    	</image>

to

<image name="background" extra="true">
    		<pos>0.5 0.5</pos>
    		<origin>0.5 0.5</origin>
    		<size>0 1</size>
    	</image>

This will make the background center on the screen instead of cutting off the entire right for 4:3 displays.

threepwood
    Participant

That was it, great, it’s working!!

Thank you!

And when Lynx, Vectrex (and Dreamcast for the future) are also on the list, then, well, then are you my personal hero ;)

My raspi will be build in an arcade bartop very soon, and this theme will be looking really good. the simple one is… Well… Too simple :o)

carlocgc
    Participant

Hi great theme exactly what i was looking for thank you very much for your work!
    I am wondering what the gc.png is used for i cannot see those in the theme anywhere. I see a reference in the theme.xml

-<view name=”detailed”>

<!– <image name=”gc” extra=”true”> <path>./../../nbba theme/gb/gc.png</path> </image> –>

how are these incorporated in the themes? I would like to see them :)
    Thanks again

sekazi
    Participant

The gc.png is in another layout I have been working on. They are not used in the 3 that was in the initial release.

sekazi
    Participant

Finished the Lynx theme. Here is the preview of the bg.

http://i.imgur.com/e4OMh5f.png

edit

It took a little time but I had to build a library for the lynx. Here it is in es.

http://i.imgur.com/miZpXsw.jpg

sekazi
    Participant
    threepwood
    Participant

Looks awesome! Thumbs up for your effort.

sekazi
    Participant

I need some ideas for the ports logo. The more I look at it the more I would rather see something else than the doom logo. What does Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem all have in common?

The only idea I have is some sort of fps logo.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 118 total)
  • The forum ‘Emulation Station Themes’ is closed to new topics and replies.