Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello guys, I need some help with my RetroPie setup process, since I’m not very verse in Linux.

I’ve installed RetroPieImage_ver1.9.1 on my 4GB SD card,

On the first boot i setup my keyboard as joypad1, and my generic usb joypad as joypad2

They work flawlessly while in the menu, but as soon as I enter an emulator only keyboard works, joypad doesn’t.

I’ve tried the script, but all it says is something along the lines of bash: there’s no command retropie-joypad (I can give exact info if needed)

Also doom and duke3d do not work, blackscreen + freeze as soon as i hit enter.

Please help.

PS I’d also like to use 2 joypads, would be jolly if someone could help me with a detailed setup from installation to modding config files.

PS2 I apologize for the lack of exact information, i have to unplug my pc to plug my rasp in.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Hi, most of the emulators are configured with retroarch.cfg, which is a config file located in /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/

Here is the skeleton retroarch.cfg which shows all the options you can configure: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/blob/master/retroarch.cfg (anything with a # is commented out)

To define controls for your two gamepads you need to edit your retroarch.cfg via command line or SSH:

nano /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Here is the joypad section of my retroarch.cfg for example, set up for a Xbox 360 pad:

input_player1_joypad_index = "0"
    input_player1_b_btn = "1"
    input_player1_y_btn = "3"
    input_player1_select_btn = "8"
    input_player1_start_btn = "9"
    input_player1_up_axis = "-5"
    input_player1_down_axis = "+5"
    input_player1_left_axis = "-4"
    input_player1_right_axis = "+4"
    input_player1_a_btn = "0"
    input_player1_x_btn = "2"
    input_player1_l_btn = "4"
    input_player1_r_btn = "5"
    input_player1_l2_btn = "6"
    input_player1_r2_btn = "7"
    input_player1_l3_btn = "11"
    input_player1_r3_btn = "12"
    input_player1_l_x_plus_axis = "+0"
    input_player1_l_x_minus_axis = "-0"
    input_player1_l_y_plus_axis = "+1"
    input_player1_l_y_minus_axis = "-1"
    input_player1_r_x_plus_axis = "+2"
    input_player1_r_x_minus_axis = "-2"
    input_player1_r_y_plus_axis = "+3"
    input_player1_r_y_minus_axis = "-3"

input_enable_hotkey_btn = "8"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "9"

input_save_state_btn = "5"

input_load_state_btn = "4"

input_state_slot_increase_btn = "7"

input_state_slot_decrease_btn ="6"

input_menu_toggle_btn = "3"

You can use the above as a template (depending on how many buttons you have) but you need to determine which buttons are what on your controller. You can install the jtest utility:

sudo apt-get install joystick

and then run:

jstest /dev/input/js0

To add 2 player controls to your retroarch.cfg, just copy the player 1 controls and paste underneath. Then change input_player1_joypad_index = “0”
    to input_player2_joypad_index = “1”

All keymaps need to change to input_player2 instead on input_player1, for example input_player2_b_btn = “1” etc

Hope this helps!

duxan
    Participant

I’ve got it up and running and I can’t thank you enough! Thank you very much for the wonderful guide!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.