Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    smatticus
    Participant

So i like the 2.1 update, it’s full of useful updates and that new interface is sweet. However it involves a lot of relearning, like trying to find, and then edit, the retroarch.cfg file. Well the location was found pretty fast but when i go to upload my backed up retroarch.cfg via cyberduck, i’m told that i lack the necessary permissions. how do i fix this so i don’t have to manually input EVERYTHING any time i want to make a change to a file in the /opt folder?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

to make yourself a root a account

sudo passwd

choose a good password, follow prompts,

then login as “root” and your new password

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smatticus
    Participant

Thanks! This got me out of a pickle since I was tweaking the overclock settings but screwed something up so using that method I was able to edit the config.txt and then remotely reboot to apply the settings.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

you are welcome mate!!

InsecureSpike
    Participant

you are welcome mate!!

zSprawl

Login as normal, then type “sudo -s” to elevate to root privileges.

smatticus
    Participant

hey, zSprawl. i like to use cyberduck to make changes to .cfg files and the like. so would using the sudo -s command allow me to make changes via programs like that? or if i used sudo-s and then used startx to get to the lxde could i then use the file explorer to make changes?

zSprawl

Honestly I’m not sure. Typing sudo -s allows you to assume the root role. I then use vi or nano to edit the config files, so I can’t say for X. Give it a shot and let me know.

nemo93
    Participant

Gents,

for the sake of clarity, let’s try to use a single thread regarding the “permissions” if you don’t mind?

I’ve proposed a workaround here: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/no-writing-permission-for-retroarch-cfg/#post-12219

hope this helps.
    cheers,

smatticus
    Participant

There was just one which was this one. Thomas posted his similar issue almost a day after. But thank you for the workaround.

Its just odd that in previous versions of retropie we were able to edit .cfg files without the need for permissions. Since we run ES as pi, not as root, then shouldn’t the files be somewhere that pi can do something to them? Or is it possible to set the necessary permissions in a future update?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.